BANNER MARSH PONDS
Boat Ramps? No
Boat Rental? No
There are zebra mussels in this lake.
Location: Located in Central Illinois, the 5,524 acre Banner Marsh State Fish and Wildlife Area lies adjacent to the Illinois River, 4 miles north of Banner, Illinois, along Route 24.
Description: Banner Marsh SFWA was characterized by narrow strip pits and upland ponds, but in 1994, the hydrology changed due to the intentional cessation of pumping operations in the levee district. The water level rose approximately 7 feet (435 M.S.L.) due mainly to groundwater recharge by seepage under the existing 1-100 year flood-tight levee with the Illinois River. The total surface water acreage for the site increased from 530 acres to approximately 2400 acres and created a large vegetated littoral zone.
Wheel Lake (approximately 350 acres) is a deep final cut lake which is connected to a large series of strip mine wheel cut lakes. The wheel cut portion contains points, islands, flooded brush and diverse aquatic vegetation, while the final cut portion has little littoral zone and gravel substrate. The maximum water depth is 60 feet. Water clarity averages 4 feet in the summer.
History and Status of the Sport Fishery: The former bottomland lake and marsh was leveed and drained for agricultural practice from 1910 through 1958. From 1958 to1974 approximately 90 percent of the site was strip-mined for coal. The strip-mined areas have since been reclaimed and purchased by the State of Illinois. Under the management of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (1978 - present) the primary objective for the site is to establish a freshwater marsh providing fish and wildlife habitat in the Illinois River Valley.
For other lakes in the Banner Marsh SFWA: